Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Redemption




After showing my dh's not-so-hero-like behaviour in my last post, he then goes and redeems himself, and in a big way...
I have been on maternity leave for about 18months and when it became apparent that I was not going back to work, I started complaining that my 'good clothes' would be stuck in a time warp because there would not been such a pressing need to update them for 'work', my stock standard excuse for buying new clothes in the past. In fact, soon my entire wardrobe will comprise of track suit pants and faded jeans.
So imagine my surprise when my dh hands me a nice little white box and within it, information pertaining to my sessions with a personal stylist and personal shopper. Session one is a wardrobe analysis (an audit of what to keep, alter, give away and what's missing) and session two is the shopping trip (identifying what suits me and equipping me with info on how to shop for myself in the future). This gift was surprising on a number of levels:


  1. The last time my dh put this much thought into a gift for me was close to a decade ago.

  2. This gift proves that at some point, my dh actually LISTENED as I spoke.

  3. Its a gift that is for me ONLY. About four years ago he booked a holiday for my birthday, which was great, but he benefited from it just as much as I did. Generally, my birthday present is being taken out to dinner, again, this benefits him too.

  4. The gift also sparked an idea for my next ms (this one is totally unrelated to the others, but surprised me how much writing has consumed my life).

Sigh, I guess there are SOME redeemable qualities in my very own hero. Now I just have to suck up the courage to accept the findings from the wardrobe audit, cause it ain't going to be pretty!



3 comments:

  1. Well done that man! Janette, that's a great surprise. What a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the idea of a wardrobe audit fills me with terror and a need to go and fix it BEFORE the poor woman comes to look lol! Is there something wrong with having a tracksuit in every colour of the rainbow? REALLY???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get me wrong, I like my trackies, but when I start going out with them on all the time, not just to quickly pick something up from the shops, then I think I have a problem...

    ReplyDelete