Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I Have Writer's Block...

Ok - So it's probably the most over used phrase known to a writer, but hey, its the truth and if it weren't then I'd probably would've thought of something clever and witty to say... but i didn't, because I can't...

The situation is as follows: Logged on this morning to find an email from HM&B requesting my full manuscript for the partial I sent which included some, but not a hell of a lot of revisions.
Yeah - happy dance and all that. I AM stoked, but as I read the revisions carefully, I panic. I have to REWRITE stuff, think of new scenes AND still polish nine chapters, two of which are incomplete...

I sit down and open a file that has not seen the light of day for a good six weeks and then... nothing, nada, zip.

Maybe a spot of surfing, checking my email, visiting face book might get me in the mood? Uh no, still not a single word... After a while it dawned on me...I officially have writer's block.
Sigh. Perhaps tomorrow might be easier?

9 comments:

  1. Give it a couple of days, Janette. Think about it, let the advice settle, let the excitement about the ms come back, and then tackle it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Jackie said! It's good advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((HUGS)) I'm also screaming for you Janette! That's fantastic news! What line is it for? Revisions can only be a good thing. They sound dead set serious. I envy you your revisions and your writer's block :D Lucky, luck, luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks lacey - its modern heat. My second sub and my first lot of revisions and my first request for a full... Just need to get past the first couple of chaps that the revisions pertain too and i'll be right...i think...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janette - take a deep breath, let it all sink in, then get stuck right in.

    For me, writer's block happens whenever I get out of practice with writing. If I just write a little every day, even if it's awful, it starts to get easier - and one day I wake up and the writer's block is history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Romy - I've taken to leaving the sticky scenes (ie the ones that are not working for me at the moment) and polishing the rest. Hopefully as I'm doing that - the rest will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janette, I think we all spend so much time trying to get Richmond to love us that when they really do it must be a shock! You need time to take it in and calm down, then the writing muse will be back. Have a freak out while polishing your work then the rest will fall into place, I'm sure of it! Congratulations on the great news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks sally - although after reading through the whole thing... not sure they'll love it, but guess i'll just have to wait and see...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah well now . . . I get writer's block every time I open the laptop. Long time back I came across this advice - "unshelf your favourite novel/story/article etc. Starting more or less anywhere, COPY IT OUT. After a couple hundred words or so, you will be thinking the story in new directions. You'll be unblocked" Hmmm . . . Let's see. From 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens . . .
    "Marley was dead . ." Well . . er . . suppose he wasn't dead! Suppose he was only pretending so as to scare Scrooge out of his nightshirt . . .
    Now ladies . . . I think we're onto something!

    ReplyDelete